The Controller is responsible for guiding the financial decisions of the studio by supplying the Managing Director and Owners with accurate and detailed financial information and providing strategic, viable financial solutions when needed. All work will be completed in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and other regulatory organizations.
- Provides leadership and management of the financial department.
- Maintains, evaluates and strategically organizes the studio’s financials to ensure financial responsibility and performance on short-term and long-term business goals.
- Creates and maintains timely and accurate budgets; provides financial reports to assist all leadership, especially the Owners and Managing Director, in performing in their roles and responsibilities.
- Collaborates with all leadership, especially the Owners and Managing Director, providing strategic, viable solutions in relation to all financial decisions.
- Optimizes the handling of the cash flow and initiates appropriate strategies to enhance the studio’s cash position. This would include drafting and maintaining a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Crafts, implements and maintains policies and procedures, including financial software, to improve or enhance the effectiveness of the studio’s operation.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Legal and Financing Vendors and Advisors and acts as the internal studio financial advisor on any contracts into which the corporation may enter.
- Enters and maintains all Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and other financial entries required to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting.
- The Controller Position has responsibility to oversee the HR function, coordinating with external service providers (payroll, benefits, and general HR) and internal staff responsible for various aspects of HR.
- Organizes and participates in new hire orientation to ensure new employee integration.
- Monitors internal paperwork and maintains personnel files within the boundaries of Solidarity of Unbridled Labour confidentiality policy.
- Ensures I-9 compliance.
- Enforces and applies employment law requirements to practices and policies.
- Monitors any in house international employees. Coordinates and facilitates visa processes for both TN and H-1B visas.
Payroll & Benefits
- Updates and maintains the HRIS system.
- Ensures that all new employee data is entered accurately into HR database, for wage and benefit purposes.
- Collects all changes to HRIS data, including changes for name/address, wage, benefit time corrections, insurance deduction, and ensures that they are entered into the system in a timely fashion.
- Runs reports as necessary and ensures that all HRIS changes are recorded in the personnel file.
- Administers compensation and benefits plans to include enrollment changes and terminations.
- Ensures that all benefit related materials are current and easily accessible.
- Acts as a knowledgeable resource for staff inquiries regarding all benefits plans.
- Prepares audit plans on an annual basis and negotiates and approves all changes or adoptions for each plan. Processes payroll in coordination with payroll vendor.
- Assists with employee communication and feedback including terminations as needed.
- Provides services to employees in a confidential manner.
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned or required.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, master’s degree, or MBA.
- Strong financial and accounting background, including an understanding of profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow management, general finance and budgeting.
- Experience with budget management, public accounting and cash flow.
- Ability to understand new issues quickly and make wise decisions.
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust. Ability to work under pressure and plan personal workload effectively.
Solidarity offers a suite of benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Generous options for health and dental insurance
- Location flexibility and generous paid time off (PTO)
- 401K with employer contribution
- Annual education fund
- Solid Fridays
If you fit this description and want to be part of our team, please submit your resume via email to:
(Include “Controller” in the subject line.)